Friday, August 5, 2016

New Ranger Mika Zibanejad meets the New York Media


New Rangers center Mika Zibanejad met with reporters in New York on Friday and discussed a variety of topics surrounding his recent trade to the Blueshirts. Here are some of the highlights of what the 23 year-old Zibanejad had to say.
  • How different is this for you, "a little different but it's exciting. A new chapter in my career and I am just really excited."
  • On settling in, "the first couple of days, first week was hard to get used to. I was still in Ottawa and nothing that I was expecting but now that I have been here a couple of days, it's fun. It's fun to see what the city has to offer and the team and the organization."
  • On his house in Ottawa, "we finished that, we lived in it a couple of weeks and we get to go back now and be there for August and then come back in September again."
  • What are you going to do with it, "I don't know yet, we will see. That is a question we need to solve in the next month and go from there."
  • Do you know Brassard, "not well. I have known him, he has been in Ottawa and skating and training and skating together, but not buddies I guess. I would say that I know him just saying hi."
  • On the Sens saying they got the better player in the trade, "I guess they wouldn't make that trade if they didn't think so. In my mind, he is a real good player and doing great things in New York and for me it's just focusing on more proving the Rangers right than Ottawa wrong. I am just really excited for this opportunity and looking forward to it."
  • Where are you in your career, "I feel and am expecting the same things as last year but better. I am a big guy down the middle and try to do the little things right, the details and pass, shoot. Try and be as all around as possible. As far as where I'm at at this stage in my career, the level I am at right now, I want to take the next step and I want that to be a big jump. I am trying to go step by step but I think I'm waiting and people have been waiting form y breakout year and that is what I am hoping for and working towards to have. I feel like at this stage in my career I am ready for that as well."
  • On filling Brassard's role, "we are similar but different players. We can bring different elements to the team and I am focusing on what I can do to help the team to be as successful as possible as well as individual. He was a big part of it so stepping into that role, just try and do it as well as I can and do it my way."
  • On the roster, "I've been looking at the roster and going through the guys and it's hard to say what the coach wants and the vision. Really talented forwards and I feel that wherever I play it's going to be good hopefully, and hopefully get the time in training camp to work on chemistry and work on the system together. I am excited for whomever I am going to play with."
  • What do you know of AV's system, "I don't know too, too much. I have been talking to him and some assistant coaches as well as far as the system. I like to review that before I get here so that I have some knowledge and that when I come here I will have some background thoughts. It's a fast team and I feel like I can play that game and I am hoping I will fit where they put me and where they want me to play."
  • What would a breakout year mean, "I think point wise you want to get higher every season, I have been improving that, but just more consistency in my game and with that consistency the points will come. I think it's more for me a mindset of not worrying about who I am playing against or the other way around, to be more of a threat and the other teams know that I am out there and be a big presence and that is kind of what my definition of that is."
  • Have you heard from teammates, "Right away I think that I got 5-6 guys that messaged me and emailed me and called me. They have been really good and welcoming me. A lot of the guys are saying the same thing and that I will love it here, New York is New York and you can't get much better than this. Being from Stockholm, a city as well, going back to that will be nice. It's a change from Ottawa and little bit busier but I like that."
  • Will you rent in the city, "We will see. I am working on moving that house here somewhere, I don't know if that is possible. We are looking right now and looked yesterday and looked today as far as a place and where to live."
  • Who reached out, "Girardi did, McDonagh did, Hayes, JT, Lundqvist, Staal did. It was a couple of guys. I can't remember them all now but quite a few guys did and obviously it makes it more comforting and helps the process of a new team before you even meet them. Guys in this league are really good about taking you in and making you feel welcome right away."
  • Did you have any previous relationships, "not really. I played against JT since under 17 and I know I bumped into him at under 20 when we had our preseason tournament in Lake Placid. I know him probably the best of all the guys, but I met the Swedes as well and that is always comforting to have one or a couple of Swedes help you out a little bit."
  • On playing at the Garden, "it was fun. You always look for that date when you are coming here. Playing in MSG, it's a fantastic atmosphere playing here. It doesn't seem to matter what team, it's always going to be packed and busy. It was tough, a team like the Rangers, it's easy to feed off the crowd and I think that is one of the things I am really looking forward to. It's a tough building to play in but a great atmosphere, can't wait to play on the home side."
  • Can the team make another run, "I think so. I am really excited for this team that we have and the guys and the core group that have been going far are still here. It's a fun group to be part of and fun to have that goal and mindset not just to make the playoffs but go far and aim for the Cup. It's going to be exciting."
  • On special teams, "I played a lot in Ottawa and our special teams were up and down, PK wasn't great. Our PP was up and down and we had times we worked really well and times we didn't. For me, the times that didn't go well are a learning experience and the things that I take with me. You need to get out of slumps and at times we did and at times we didn't. I am hoping to bring what I had there and improve on it. Obviously as a young guy you want to improve on it. It's going to be interesting where I fit in and what thoughts they have for me."
  • You didn't see it happening, "it's nothing that I counted on, obviously. That is why it took me like a week to figure it out or, not accept it, but figure out what has been happening but it's one of those things that can happen and if it does it's a great team to come to."

More highlights from the Press Conference via NY Rangers:

"Playing in Madison Square Garden, it's always been a fantastic atmosphere every time I've played there. It doesn't seem to matter what team you are playing against, the crowd is always into it. It was tough, but real easy to feed off the crowd. That's one of the things I am really looking forward to. I can't wait to play on the home side there."

"I'm really excited for this team we have right now, the guys that we have, the core group of guys that have gone far (in the playoffs) in the past. It's going to be fun to be a part of. It's going to be fun to have that goal, that mindset, of not just making the playoffs, but to go far. It's going to be exciting."

"It's a fast team, and I feel like I can play that game. I'm hoping I'll fit wherever they put me and whatever way they want me to play."

"My points have gotten higher every season, and I want that again--my goals, my assists, to go up; but I want more consistency in my game, and with more consistency in my game the points should come. I think for me it's more of a mindset of, last year it was having that guy come at me, now I want it to be the other way around, to be more of a threat, make other teams know that I am out there, be a big presence."

No comments:

Post a Comment