Saturday, December 12, 2015

THE RANTINGS OF A FRUSTRATED RNYRF NATION

This was originally posted in the REAL New York Rangers Fans Group this AM.
Feel free to comment:

Call this my "State of the NY Rangers" speech. I'm going to step out of the "norm" and do something I have never done so far in the past 2 years that this group has been in existence. What's that you may ask? Well plain and simple, I'm going to be an "Armchair GM" for a few moments here.
First I'd like to touch on the positives then I'll get to my Rant on our New York Rangers. First, Oscar Lindberg has had one of the best rookie starts that I can remember a NY Ranger having 10 goals, 7 assists for 17 pts and a plus 6 in 30 games has been unheard of on this team. Mats Zuccarello has exceeded expectations after having his post season cut short during the playoffs by a Ryan McDonagh slap shot to the noggin'. If you told me he would have had 12 goals and 12 assists this short time into the season I would have just blown it off and said "I hope so". For a player that suffered a fractured skull, brain swelling & hemorrhaging and couldn't speak for 3 days it's been one hell of a miraculous recovery. Derek Brassard is Probably having his best season so far as a NY Ranger. He seems to be more comfortable and actually heads to the net to pick up rebounds. Much better on the faceoff circle and has stepped up his game since Stepan was put on the shelf with broken ribs.
The number 1 pick that so many were giving up on Dylan McIlrath has finally come into his own (thanks to Jeff Beukeboom). Undertaker puts a fresh tough guy persona on the Rangers Blueline that they have been missing for years. Good stay at home defenseman that makes accurate outlet passes from the zone. Nice to see him finally get the ice time to prove himself to be a valuable part of the team and not a Hugh Jessiman first round bust. Now the goaltending. Henrik Lundqvist has probably had the best start of his career in many seasons. Whether it's the new "skater style" skates or just a more aggressive style of play he has been steadily proving why he is know as "The King of NY". Annti Raanta has proven himself to be a competent backup for Henrik & the Rangers. He has shown flashes of Henrik like skill between the pipes and with a bit more work with Assistant Coach and Goaltending Coach Benoit Allaire he should just get better. Sadly that's all the good points I've seen so far this season.
Now onto the bad "Armchair GM" portion of my rant. The thing is here we can blame the players for lack of effort since it's obviously the first place anyone can start. But, I'm not doing that. For me the place to start is at the bottom, the coaching staff. First off Associate Coach & "power play guru" Scott Arniel. In the 2 plus seasons he's been in charge of the power play there has been absolutely no change since the horrible John Tortorella regime. This pass first debacle has got to end. Rangers need to look back to when the power play was good or to an outside source that has succeeded as either a player or a coach working on the power play. Someone like Brian Leetch even though he was a defenseman was a great power play QB, he might be the one to have the insight to turn it around. As for the D, Assistant Coach Ulf Samuelsson is in charge. How the hell do you go from having one of the best defense in the NHL to this mockery of a D corps? Look no further than Ulfie himself. Maybe it's time for a change and replace him with someone that has been working in the system building up young players such as McIlrath. Jeff Beukeboom needs to be promoted and given a shot at running the Rangers defense. He has proven himself as a valuable part of the Wolf Pack Staff and deserves the shot now that whatever Ulf is doing with the D corps isn't working. Now for my next question. Is the system flawed? Has the rest of the NHL finally broken the code to Alain Vigneault's speed first system? Have they finally figured out how to counter the flash and dash game that AV is such a promoter of? Now don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Coach Vigneault whatsoever. I like his coaching style except fpor the laid back demeanor. He does need a bit of an edge to his personna though. I absolutely dig AV and thank him for bring the Rangers to their first final in 20 years. But if things don't work maybe it's time for a change. Who would replace him? I know you all are thinking the same thing, Mark Messier who many thought should have gotten the job ahead of Vigneault. But my question is would it make this team any better to have a coach with no coaching experience at all? Could his leadership on the ice as a player flow over to behind the bench? Questions that could have been answered but still haven't been. The lone bright spot of the coaching staff Benoit Allaire, nuff said about him over the years.
As far as the players go I'l start at the offense and work my way to the D. My feelings are varied Rangers are missing 2 very important parts of "the machine", Derek Stepan and Kevin Klein. When you lose 2 key players as such in less than a week of course it's going to upset the chemistry of any team. But through tough times depth players are the ones who are expected to step up and fill those roles. Our NY Rangers don't have many of those to fill the need. Odd man out Emerson Etem has showed exactly what he did in Anaheim, a player with all the talent who can't translate it onto the ice in game situations. "Lost" like a newborn puppy when he gets the ice time. Looks to me as though Ryan Gropp (still in juniors) was the key player via the draft pick received for Carl Hagelin. JT Miller, I was one who believed that this kid should get more ice time. But he's proving AV right dropping him to the 4th line at times. Flashes of brilliance killed by stupid penalties and numerous turnovers. Chris Kreider hmmm, how should I put this? Sports philosophy has no place on the ice. Whatever the training he went through in the off season didn't work. Instead of playing the game he's over thinking the game. let it come naturally CK and all will be well. Should be a 30 goal scorer this season and is on a pace to score 15 or less. Jarett Stoll, great idea in theory since his faceoff numbers were great in LA but his insertion into the lineup has hurt the Rangers. Too many stupid penalties at the wrong time. And I feel that Jarett centering the 4th line has drastically hurt Dominic Moore. From being a stalwart 4th line center to a man with no identity. Dom has the heart of a warrior, just too bad he's been put into a situation he's uncomfortable with. Speaking of a man or boy in this case with no identity, Kevin Hayes. C'mon AV is he a 3rd line center or a 2nd or 1st line winger? Once this kid gets a solid position he'll be fine and put up good numbers. Viktor Stalberg jury is still out on him in my opinion. Shows good solid hockey sense but is a 4th line winger at best. Jesper Fast is the player who needs to be on the 3rd line wing, good speed and skill. Another kid with heart. I won't touch much on Tanner Glass. He does put forth effort every game he plays but lacks the skill needed to be anywhere but on the 4th line. Honestly in my opinion Derek Dorsett was a better and cheaper option than Tanner. Sorry Mr. Glass just my opinion. Rick Nash, oh Mr Nashty sorry but your game has been off. Mr No Show in the playoffs has continued his streak into the regular season. But relax Nashty fans, I'm sure he'll break out and score 30-40 this season and I pray he can find his game once March comes round. Like I wrote earlier, Brasss, Zucc, Steps & Lindy I don't see any problems. All have been solid except for a few minor brain farts in the first 30 games.
Oh and now the Defense. Oh my god where do I start? Let's go with what I see works. McIlrath, now he's been given the chance he showing his fortitude. Solid D and good passing skills with an aggressive edge. A player that stands up for his teammates when needed. Kevin Klein, up until the injury solid like he was last season. Keth Yandle, much better play. Looks more comfortable and is putting up numbers leading the team in assists. Now if that could translate to the power play, beautiful. Captain Ryan McDonagh. Much better start than last season. As I said last year he wasn't ready to step into the Captain's roll. Reminded me so much of Brian Leetch in his first year of captaincy, lost at times and overwhelmed with the responsibility. There are those who are born leaders and those that have to grow into the role, Ryan is the latter. I'm on the fence with my opinion of our captain. Now it brings me to what I do not see working. First I'll pick on the old man Dan Boyle. Other than scoring a penalty shot goal and a game winning shootout goal his play has hurt the team in general. Lacking the speed or skill he once had has him thinking ahead to retiring at the end of this season. Why would you put your trust into a player that has already stated that he has thoughts of life after hockey after 10 games into the season. little flashes here and there don't cut the mustard in my book. Hang 'up the skates, move on and let a younger player have your spot. Danny Girardi, the once stalwart solid Iron Man of the team has lost his brilliance. Hasn't been the same player since the 2013-2014 Finals vs the Kings. A once solid D zone in front blocking shots and clearing pucks has reduced himself to an out of position turnover player. Whether it be influence of Samuelsson's method of coaching the D or just poor judgement I have no idea. I haven't given up hope on "G" and feel he'll turn it around. Lastly Marc Staal. Sometimes the most solid defenseman on the team sometimes the most anemic. Hasn't been the same player since the concussion and the unfortunate eye injury. Staal just needs to be more consistant.
Overall I feel as though our NY Rangers have the talent and skill to suceed but are either one or two tweeks away from being the Stanley Cup Chamion we all want them to be. Whether it's a change in the coaching staff, a trade for outside help or a trade and calling up of some young players, who knows. All I'm sure of is Sather & Gorton won't let this go on much longer. I foresee changes being made and soon even before the new year begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment