Saturday, September 16, 2017

RANGERS TRAINING CAMP WRAP UP: DAY 2, 9/6: Lines, AV Q&A

The Rangers skated in 3 groups once again today


Group A on the ice included Henrik Lundqvist, Captain Ryan McDonagh, Mats Zuccarello, Chris Kreider, Brady Skjei, Michael Grabner and Mika Zibanejad among others.

Team B roster included Kevin Shattenkirk, Rick Nash, J,T,Miller, Marc Staal, Pavel Buchnevich, Kevin Hayes, Brandon Smith, David Desharnais, Jimmy Vesey, Anthony DeAngelo and Andjrei Pavelec.

The Only Player listed for Team C was prospect Philip Chytl.

Some lines and pairings from group A: Kreider-Mika-Zucc; Puempel-Andersson-Grabner; Mac-Pionk; Skjei-Bereglazov; Holden-Kampfer.

In Group B: Vesey-Hayes-Nash; Gropp-Miller-Buchnevich; Graves-Shattenkirk; Staal-DeAngelo; Gilmour-Smith.

Alain Vigneault met with the media on Saturday and said (NYR):


"right now one of the first things we said in orientation is that this is our time in training camp to build the foundation to have a successful season. Building that foundation is getting on the same page as far as systems, being one of the best conditioned teams in the league. We got our results and a few guys have some areas to work on, 20 something days to work on it. As a team, you work on coming together, understanding your role and contribution. Today was a very important day as far as teaching, D-zone coverage, different responsibilities in D-zone coverage from 1 on 1 to when we go 5 on 5. It was our first day and I thought it went extremely well."
Is this earlier than normal to teach systems, "I would say that not in the past while here, since I have been here. We have modified a few ways of doing it, we did video before practice, went to the board to explain a couple of things that we feel are important as far as technique and tactical wise. For them it was a full day and for the most part I think it went very well."
You went over everything first, "we never go to the boards, we always pre-ice but on top of that one of the things we do, since I have been here, is the video part that goes with the work on ice. We take sequences from the prior years and show our guys doing it the way we expect it to be done. Those are good refreshers for the guys who have been here and real good teaching point for the new guys."
Did you change the system, "We are like all the teams, after a season you analyze and look at who has won and see if there is anything that they have done specifically. I wouldn't want to give you some of the areas because then I would be giving the whole league, today, as far as overall coverage in our zone and assignments and the trigger points, we didn't modify anything there."
On Brady Skjei, "the fact that he is working out with Ryan McDonagh, Mac's testing scores are over the roof, one of the best on the team. You can tell that Brady is working out with him, the influence and impact, I mean his testing, in the time that I have been here, are improving, improving. He is right near the Mac level in terms of fitness scoring. That says a lot about him and I think that is going to materialize on the ice, better decision making, quicker decision making with the puck, better decision making, quicker decision making without the puck. He is doing everything he can to be the best player he can be and we need that from our group if we are going to be a better team."
On Shattenkirk and adjusting to the system, "every team, to some extent, plays 80% the same way. There is that 20% that is a little different in certain situations. In Shatty's case, he's been coached by one of the best coaches in the league for quite some time. I'm not worried about how understanding the defensive side of the game. We might forecheck differently than St. Louis or Washington does but he knows what to do in his own end. The one thing I want him to do is to bring his offensive instincts, his creativity with the puck, I want that to flow. There are certain principles that every team has but when he has the puck, the decisions he makes with the puck, I have a lot of confidence he will make the right ones in the right situations, I will give him some leeway there."
"He's been around, whether it be the system he played or systems he played against, he knows how to play with and without the puck. I talked quickly to Desharnais because I know how they play, especially since we played in two series in the last few years. Not a lot of difference so it should be real easy for them to pick up."
Have there been any surprises, "I wouldn't say surprises. I looked at Nasher today, how well he was skating and the energy he was bringing. Jimmy and Hayes and the energy they were bringing, Marc Staal looked real good on the ice. I'm looking at our veterans and am excited to see them coming back to camp and I am getting a first hand look at a lot of these younger players. We had 8 of the players from Pionk, to Day, to Pedrie, Fontaine, two of the goalies, 8 guys stayed in New York during the summer and went to Prentiss where Marty and Richie used to work out and their test scores, you can tell that they came in and worked out the right way. Impressed with those guys staying in New York all summer to come into camp in as good a shape as they could."
On Brendan Smith, "some of you have gotten to know Smytty, he is vocal, he is intense, our room, that is a good thing to have in the room. He is not only vocal but he shares a lot of his inner feelings with his teammates which is good, it's about keeping everyone accountable and I like that aspect of him and that energy. I talked to him about an expanded role in our dressing room and him coming from Detroit, he has had some real solid leaders in the past so I expect a lot more from that end from him."
On Chris Kreider, "Chris has improved and became a real important player on our team. As a coach what I am striving to get from him is, that third period we saw against Ottawa, that is what I am striving for to get on a consistent basis. Not that he didn't play well, he played well and became one of our top end scorers and a power forward, but if I can get that it's my job as a coach to get product, that performance he gave us, he was a beast, maybe the best player on the ice and that is what we are trying to get from him on a consistent basis. He is not a kid anymore, it's his turn now and he has to become a real good voice in our room, a great example fitness wise off the ice. We expect more from him and I know we are going to get it."
On the roster for Monday, I have, I just need to double check with Gorts. The groups will be a little different tomorrow, one will be the playing group and the other won't be the playing group but I need to double check because we have changed things around."
On the 9 days after the last exhibition game, "one of the things, we had a great team building activity last year when we went to the NYPD, it was one of the best that I have done and this year, because we had that amount of time I thought it was the right time to get out with our team, our team will be made up by then. We will go to Lake Placid. We will practice the Sunday, leave for Lake Placid and I will have a guest speaker, Ed Viesturs, mountain climber. I've had Ed when I was in Van, he spoke a couple of times to my team, the year we went to the Stanley Cup Final. Outstanding, one of the few guys who does what he does. We have all done the army, the police, fire men, this is different. He talks about some good things and team work and mental strength and conditioning you need when you are climbing mountains and there is a good correlation of what he has to do with his team and what I have to do with my team and what individuals on the team need to do. We have Lake Placid all laid out, talk about coming together and we had a lot of help from Mike Richter. We will practice here Sunday, fly there, Monday skate, Tuesday I'm not 100% sure on the skate but we will be back Tuesday night."
Will you still have four alternate captains, "it's something that Ryan and I have discussed. Right now we have two and lets get through camp and see who wants an added role. It's something we might do, but not set in stone. I want to get Ryan's feedback and what he feels will be best for the team and go from there.'

No comments:

Post a Comment